Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

My Online Classes With Brilliant Students


I am lucky to be a teacher. I can meet different students in the different walks of life. Let me share to you some of my experiences in teaching some online students. And to be specific, they are my Japanese online students that want to learn English.

Every morning I always need to get up very early, 3:00 am. This is because I must can meet my students again and learn something from their daily lives as well as their culture. 5:00 am is the time to start my journey with my Japanese students in exploring the English Language and also to discover the differences between the Japanese and Filipino culture.



http://ak9.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/424957/preview/stock-footage-hd-p-clip-of-a-slow-motion-waving-flag-of-japan-seamless-seconds-long-loop.jpg

For 8 months of working as an English Online Teacher to the Japanese, I have learned many things about their culture, their place, their food and etc. Every time my Japanese students share something about their culture, I could not help myself but imagine all of those as if I am one of them. And for their food, good thing there's Google images, because if my students cannot describe the food very well, then all they have to do is just give me the link of images or they give the name of the food and I can search it myself. To be honest, looking at the photos of those Japanese foods makes me really hungry. Haha! I can still remember some of those foods. Let me name them; Soba Noodles, Nabe, Sushi, Tempura, Takoyaki, Natto, Miso soup, etc.

I have also learned about the different places in Japan especially when I ask them on their location. I guess it's already given to know the Capital city which is Tokyo but not for Osaka, Nagoya, Hokkaido, Okinawa, Kyoto, Chiba, Hiroshima, Fukushima, etc. It really feels so good to know the famous things in every location in Japan. Just like Osaka, which is famous for their food; Okinawa, for their beaches; Hokkaido, for being the coldest place in Japan.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/jpnewzzz.gif

Knowing something about the culture of my Japanese students makes me feel so close to them even though we only see each other through Skype video calls. They were able to tell me about how Japanese people work hard which makes overtime becomes a very common thing for them. I also noticed that they can really be so patient and forgiver. I can't even forget how they can celebrate their New Year, like going to the temple, eating the osechi-ryori, and even having some New Year Sale. Those things were just amazing to know.

Of course I won't forget about their four seasons; Winter, Summer, Spring and Fall. Most of them told me that they love Spring time because of the comfortable temperature, cherry blossoms and even their Golden Week. By the way, Golden Week is like a week of holiday in work, maybe for them to rest or to enjoy and travel. I'm just not sure if why is it called Golden Week. haha!!

Anyways, I guess it's really a good thing to know about all those stuff. But I think, it would be much better to experience all of those with my special someone. Well, who knows, maybe one day we could come to Japan and I will surely tell something about it. Soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...